What are the National Employment
There are 10 minimum requirements under the NES. The NES applies to all incorporated business (Pty Ltd) employing people in Australia. This covers full-time and part-time employee.
The NES includes:
- Maximum 38 hours work per week, plus reasonable additional hours;
- Employees may request flexible working arrangements (in can be made in certain circumstances
- 12 months unpaid Parental leave (including adoption leave) and an additional right to ask for an extra 12 months;
- Annual leave – four weeks paid leave per year, plus an extra week for some shift workers.
- 10 days of paid Personal leave (including sick and carer's leave. There are also entitlements to two days unpaid carer’s leave and two days compassionate leave as required and compassionate leave);
- Unpaid Community service leave – unpaid leave for voluntary emergency activities and 10 days for jury leave service;
- Long service leave requirements
- Paid Public holidays.
- Proper notice of termination and redundancy pay – up to five weeks notice of termination and up to 16 weeks redundancy pay, both based on length of service;
- Provision of a Fair Work Information Statement – The NES statement must be provided by employers to all new employees.
Casual Employee NES entitlements include:
- Paid Public Holiday where required to work.
- Maximum 38 hours per week
- Two days unpaid carer’s leave and two days unpaid compassionate leave per occasion
- Community service leave (except paid jury service)
- Provision of the Fair Work Information Statement.
In addition, regular casual employees who have been employed for at least 12 months by an employer are also entitled to:
- make requests for flexible working arrangements
- parental leave and related entitlements.
Can you opt out of the NES?
Basically, no. These terms are either implicitly or explicitly implied into Awards, Registered Agreements and Employment Contracts
However, in certain circumstances, the terms may be adapted but not reduced.
What happens if I don't comply?
A contravention of the NES can result in penalties of up to $12,600 for an individual and $63,000 for a corporation, per contravention.
Our HR Service
The HR Experts International are one of Australia’s leading HR, Coaching & Training Consultancies. We specialise in assisting Start-ups, Franchises, Small to Medium businesses with their Human Resource Strategies and people issues.
We help businesses grow, become more agile, create amazing engaged cultures, become talent magnets, whilst ensuring you have effective protection for your business.
We work with you to develop your Employer Brand, protect your reputation, create engaged employees and raving customer fans, in a pragmatic and straightforward way.
Our flexible Kick Starter and HR on Demand packages now provide SME's with an ability to tap into high calibre, pragmatic strategic expertise at a price they can afford to enable their business to skyrocket it's growth.
We provide strategic and operational Human Resource consulting service enabling any size business to gain a lion share of the Talent Pool and gain a clear competitive advantage over their competitors.
We also offer Coaching and training service to ensure your managers are able to proactively manage their people resources effectively!
If you are ready to grow, Book your free consultation today to discuss your HR needs
This article is intended to provide commentary and general information. It should not be relied upon as comprehensive or legal advice. Formal legal advice may be necessary, in particular transactions or on matters of interest arising from this article. The HR Experts International is not responsible for the results of any actions taken on the basis of information in this article, nor for any error or omission in this article.